I want to see:

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower, Goodbye Potatoes!

First and foremost, I can't believe I've been away from my blog this long! Slaps on the wrist to me, but we're back in the game now ;)

The holiday season is slowly leaching it's way in and I honestly can't wait to start decorating my apartment with Christmas decorations. But don't worry, they won't be hung until at least the day after Thanksgiving (maybe). Along with the holidays though comes decadent treats and heavy indulgence.

For the past two months, I've been working on adopting a healthier lifestyle and getting myself back in the gym. My past relationships with working out have been 2-3 months of hard work and then falling off track. Finally, I'm trying to change this habit and keep up with a regimen that keeps me moving.

Kicking my butt in gear started with motivating myself to sign up for a 5k, my first 5k ever. I overtrained a bit but finished strong, only stopping to walk for a quick 30 seconds at the end. In my defense, the race was set up with the entire last half-mile uphill. This is a cruel, cruel joke.



Anyways, this holiday season is going to be a real test of my dedication. The progress that has been made these past 2 months has been exciting, rewarding and actually a ton of fun. I'm taking classes that make me feel great and I'm listening to my body to avoid strain and injury.

Holiday treats are unavoidable if you're anything like me. I know there will be peppermint mochas, gingerbread men and numerous cocktails in the near future. To combat these delicious numbers, I'm squeezing healthy meals in whenever possible to balance myself out.

The recipe I'm sharing with you today is one of my favorite healthy swaps. It's a mock version of mashed potatoes and has been my go to substitute for over 6 months now. You can customize the recipe to meet your taste buds by adjusting the garlic, cream cheese and parmesan.

My boyfriend is a garlic LOVER, so our recipe tends to be on the heavy side. After having my mom test it out, she suggested maybe even sautéing or roasting the garlic for a more refined taste. Food should be fun, so take a twist and challenge yourself to add one ingredient that you love. In fact, next batch of mine will probably include a squirt or two or srirachaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Here it is! A great way to squeeze a less starchy vegetable into weekly dinners. Try to find a fun way to add delicious, healthy alternatives in your dinners and you'll feel less guilty about your second (or third) glass of spiked eggnog.

Creamy Garlic Mashed Cauliflower


1 head of cauliflower, cleaned and chopped
2T cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1t minced garlic
1/4t straight chicken bouillon
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add cauliflower in small pieces and boil ~6 minutes or until well done.
  2. Drain cauliflower well, without allowing to completely cool.
  3. In a Vitamix, food processor or blender, puree the cauliflower with cream cheese, parmesan, garlic and chicken bouillon.
  4. Season with salt and pepper, then top with butter if desired. (Try it without butter first!)
That's it! Super easy and absolutely delicious. I have some signature spices that are added to almost every single dish, from eggs to chicken to pizza dough. If you enjoy any particular seasonings (i.e. paprika, old bay, garlic salt), feel free to add them in for a little extra flavor.

Cooking should be fun, and you should always challenge yourself to customize recipes to your own taste. Give it a shot and let me know what you think! I haven't turned back to mashed potatoes since experimenting with this deliciousness.

Do you have any healthy swaps that I should try? I'm always looking for a new kitchen experiment so share any fun recipes you've tried in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanted: Comments, Suggestions & Opinions